Age of a Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Arwen, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Is there any way to guess the age of a goose? Josephine is with her new family. L, who's had a pet duck for 7 years, told me she thinks JoJo is a young 6-9 month old goose. I felt like she was young but have nothing to base that on.

In certain species of pscittacines, I know the legs will color as well as the texture changes. Is there anything like that with geese? Also, in the two weeks that I had her, she never laid an egg. Is that seasonal as well as age-controlled?

[​IMG]
    This is Josephine on the car trip to meet her new folks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In her new yard. You can sort of see Arnold in the pen behind her. I am not sure of his species.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    The knob on her bill is small even for a female China. That might be what L is thinking. Knobs on the swan derived geese grow with age. Otherwise, geese tend to get fatter and heavier with age, and arthritic legs, but in general, without teeth [​IMG] their age is pretty hard to tell.

Geese lay seasonally. By February or March, most are laying. They lay through May or even June if you keep stealing the eggs, and the breed is prolific egg layers. Josephine wouldn't have laid this year, she was too young. Geese "appear" adult size at three months of age.

I'm so glad she is in her new home [​IMG] She has a happy look on her face and a charmed life ahead of her [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Thank you. You are so generous with your knowledge. I am so happy to have found this site!

I actually think that the knob has gotten bigger in the 2 weeks that I had her. I'll have L keep an eye on that for me.

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the happy update. I hope you can one day keep a few geese yourself...You're a Natural! We're all glad you found this forum too! You'll keep us updated on her progress - right?

5. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    JoJo, I will. I am currently hooked on a blog I found from this site. Not sure of the user name now but her name is Mary and she's an ex-nurse living with goats and chickens. I'm in heaven. I'll live vicariously for now. [​IMG]

6. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    So glad to hear it. Goats are really fun. I have fainters.

7. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    [email protected] acres farm :

So glad to hear it. Goats are really fun. I have fainters.

OOOH Fainting goats? I want to see! LOL They look small. Are they a pygmy type?​

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Yes, my fainters are the small, traditional type. Very mild in temperment. No climbing on things whatsoever. Awesome little creatures.

9. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Arwen, you MUST share your blog. I am a current nurse living with goats, geese and chickens. Oh yeah, and some ducks and llamas too!! I must "meet" this person.

10. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:It's lcitc.squarespace.com and it's someone here but like I said, I can't remember who. Love the recipes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by