Age of a Hen/Pullet when they go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Attack Chicken, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Was wondering at what age will a hen or pullet go broody? I have 2 Standard White Leghorn pullets. The other day Sandy (the smallest) wouldnt get out of the coop. I had to get in there and get her out. Is this a sign of broodyness? Friend wants me to put some silkie eggs under her if she does.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As a breed White leghorns are not known for their broodiness, I'd be suprised if they ever do.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My cochin/ japanese hen started laying at 4 months and by 5 months she was broody, now she is just shy of 7 months old and she has 10 baby seramas that are 3 weeks old tomorrow

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She was sitting on it pretty tight. Was kinda aggresive when I pulled her off of it

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My youngest broody so far was about 6 months old when she went broody. She had laid a total of 7 eggs before going broody, so a little bit over a week! She still has them, and they are about 4 weeks old, give or take. I guess she just wanted to get one in before the winter!

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone else?

8. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I have a hen that's gone broody, she's either 7 months old or one year. I can't remember which group she's from. I've had to pick her up and out of the nest box for the past two nights and mornings. She just growls at me. The nest box that she happens to be sitting in, is everyone else's favorite spot too. So, the other hens have been climbing in with her and giving her more eggs to hoard!!!

9. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Awww sounds cute lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by