Age of a rooster? *new pics added!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carolinasculpture, Mar 10, 2016.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! We received an EE roo from a friend who couldn't remember how old he is (the rooster, not the friend:) ). He is a great rooster and I'd like to have him around forever. But lacking that option, I'd like to keep one of his sons when he gets old. So, is there any way to age a rooster?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    how long have you had him, can you post a pic of him, and how big are his spurs? I haven't heard a way but sometimes you can get within 2 years just by looking at them.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Pictures would help, sometimes spur length can help, I mostly look at the thickness of the legs and feet, birds over 2-3 years with start to have fairly thick legs, and they continue to thicken their whole lives, as well as the scales on the legs get larger.

4. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    We got him early summer or late spring of last year. He was fully mature then with one large spur and one stub. Will try to get some pics of him today if I can. Got to get our DD to the doctor, strep throat is going through her school. Yuck!
    Anyway, even an estimate would be great!
    Edited to add...his legs seem pretty thick to me and he does have large scales. Was just wondering yesterday if he could have mites without everyone else being affected. Maybe he is just old. Will definitely try to get pics!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    I got a pic of him, maybe this will help with telling how old he is. Thank you![​IMG]

6. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    Ok, looking at it now, it is not a great pic. Will try to get a better one.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    His legs do look odd, a closer picture of them would help, it possible he has scaly leg mites. To me he looks to fall into the 1-3 year age.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Copied pic to my photo editor, lightened it up and zoomed in.
    Looks like he might have scaly leg mites.....and I see a huge curved spur, so he's probably at least 2-3 or more years old.
    Pretty hard to tell age of older bird.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  9. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    HI! I went out and tried to get some better pics of his legs. He was not interested in showing them off, but here are 3 of the better ones. The scales on the fronts of his legs look raised and off color. Would this be the scaly leg mites? Would they spread, as none of the hens look this way. Could it just be old age? Yes, he does have one huge curled up spur and was missing the other when we got him. Anyway, any ideas appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He looks like an older roosters with those big legs, I'm changing my answer, he's probably around 5 or older. I can't see his legs clearly, but they don't look as bad as before, but I'm unsure, you could do a search and find some pictures to see if it looks like he has leg mites. He could just have old legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by