age of chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cesa, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Cesa

Cesa New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Greetings all! I hope someone might know how to tell a hen's age. I have 11 hens and they all look alike. One hen is old and doesn't lay eggs...she just keeps the others in line...her name is Darlin. My friend has a coop she has set up and has asked for a couple of my hens...which is cool except I'm worried I might give her Darlin since she blends in with the others. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Doylehomestead

Doylehomestead Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Yakima Washington
    Yes I have been wondering how to tell them apart as well. I have 6 of the same kind but am unsure how to ever tell them apart. I hope someone can answer your question!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There is no sure way to tell the age of a chicken. That is one of the reasons to band them. If you are sure of Darlin at some point you could put a drop of food coloring on her till give away the ones you want.

4. rlscutt

rlscutt New Egg

Sep 17, 2014
    You can get different colored plastic band to out around their legs if you want to tell them apart.

5. Cesa

Cesa New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Thanx so much for the response! I had thought if I could defo know its her maybe mark her leg with a black magic marker...I do know that chickens are curious and a little canabalistic and will peck at each other so Im a little worried about that. Will check out bracelet at my local feed store....

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A mark on a chicken shouldn't attract the attention of the other birds as long as it isn't red, the color of blood. They don't seem to bother with red leg bands though. In the long run bands maybe the better way to go.

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    My first flock was 15 buff orpingtons that all looked alike to me too. I went to a dollar store and found electrical zip ties in all different colors and when I ran out of colors I switched legs ( some right some left) problem solved for about 2 bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by