Age of chicks for specific treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ImportTheBest, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Any advice?

Like how old to eat wheat fodder?
    How about strawberry trimmings?
    Purple dead-nettle?

My Chickies hatched 3/6/17 so at the time of posting they are 4 days old.

I'm talking about just enough for a daily treat of one, not all, per day!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not do any treats till at least 3 weeks old, except for sod, and perhaps scrambled egg.

3. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Understood, thanks!! I'll scramble up some eggs for them tomorrow. Also giving them a small amount of (with grit available) finely chopped parsley and oregano as per the new Gardening with Chickens book's advice for chick health.

4. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Do they need grit to eat eggs? How about scratch?

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No they don't need grit to digest eggs. But, I really see no reason to be giving them scratch until they are much older. At least 3 - 4 weeks. They need grit for scratch. IMO, chicks should have grit as a matter of course, no matter what they are eating.

6. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Ok that's what I thought . I don't give my birds " treats" much at all , or my dogs . They need to eat their feed not treats!!
    I have to buy grit at the pet store for the young ones , they seem to enjoy it.

does anyone just give them sand? Or is the " budgie grit", the way to go .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Budgie grit is actually quite high in calcium. If you have a gravel driveway, or your yard is not completely sand, you can give them stuff from your own yard. Many of the older feed stores have appropriate sized grit in bulk bins, so you could buy just a bag full. An other option would be to buy some plain coarse gravel from Lowes or Home Depot. Be sure it's not had anything added. I'd prefer to use stuff from my own yard, as that will also boost their immunity.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Forgive me...I do not mean to contradict...

If Chicks are fed anything other than starter feed...The do need grit.....Egg needs grit....I never give my Chicks anything other than starter till 3 weeks old and then it is only once a week.....Grit needs to be provided.......

Cheers!....:)

9. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada

This must be one of those " hot button issues ", many will disagree about the eggs .

I had a very sick baby day old and was advised to feed her scrambled egg. She ate the whole thing and more with no grit , I'm wondering if eggs soft consistency makes it easier to digest?

I have sand in the brooder now , so my bases are covered [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not really a hot button issue?......Just because egg comes from the Chicken does not make it easier to digest..Chickens require grit to process their feed.....Anyways......Glad your enjoying the Birds...;)......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by