age of chicks perching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rach4, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Rach4

Rach4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    My proud gems are nearly 3weeks old. I noticed that they are trying to perch on a bit of wood on the ground. I have rigged a mini one up in the coop about 1inch (no higher) of the ground Just curious as to when they will start to jump up on the perch at night time as they still sleep in the nest on the ground with mum, and unfortunately we are having many flood warnings where we are which equals sleepless nights.... can chickens swim?!

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    When raised with a broody, mama can sometimes get them going up there by 4 weeks, depending on how high it is and how easity it is for them to get up to (a ladder or whatnot). Ones I've had without a broody to show them didn't start until a couple weeks later than that.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks for that a couple of things their to keep an eye on, height, ease etc thanks [​IMG]

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I have heard of chickens being able to swim I'm not sure if they're true or not I think they might be able to but not very well and if they are in a panic they will drown.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    They can float until they become water logged then they sink.

6. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Yeah that's what I heard

7. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    yeah I didn't think they had much luck with water, looks like I shall be continuing to dig trenches for a few more days/nights! thanks guys

8. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Our chicks were 4 weeks old on Tuesday. Their mama has them on the roost tonight, for the first time.

9. Rach4

Aug 31, 2016
    Australia
    oh that is gold! our little gems will be 3wks on Sunday. 2-3hrs after posting this question, I walked outside and found 2 out of 4 perched on a old chair I have in the run (our Rooster likes to sit on the top of it), yet again Mum and Dad are kicking goals for first time parents in attending to their little bubies needs, So I feel a tad silly now should have waited 4hours before asking!

10. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Mine were roosting at night at 5 weeks.
    I put them in the coop at 5 weeks and I'm not sure how they slept the first night but from the second night onwards, they roosted.
    As they grew in the brooder, I always had a little roost for them. I made it higher as they grew.
    They never slept on it but did once in the coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by