Age of egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunAngel, Jul 31, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    At what age do Standard Cochins start to lay?

I have a Buff one thats around 5 months old, but no sign of an egg from her. Is she still a bit young yet?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The average age is 18 - 20 weeks. Some take longer and some take a lot longer. I have had eggs as early as 16 weeks and as late as 32 weeks. They will come but right now the heat can also delay the process.

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Ahh, I guess I wasn't taking into account the heat factor also. She's my only other hen thats close to laying age, so I am a bit eager [​IMG] The rest are all only 10 weeks old.

We have only had her about a month, but the 2 yr old Bantam Cochin we got at the same time laid an egg her first day here. So I kind of ruled out the adjustment period thing.

Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I have cochins and have been told that they usually start to lay at 6-8 months, my younger pullets started at 5 1/2 months, mine laid great through the last winter, but have stopped laying now I believe due to a move to new coop then the heat. You should see a HUGE difference in the comb in the days leading up to laying. My cochins seem to be the hens that take forever on the nest once they do start to lay.

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks! I will keep an eye on her comb and see what happens.

We were excited when our little bantam Cochin laid an egg, because we forgot to ask her age and didn't know she was already laying, duhh. So this will be our first `big` chicken egg.

Why is the time between them being tiny babies and looking like big chickens goes so quick, but waiting on laying to start, seems to take forever?!

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Lol, Solarical, I know exactly how you feel! I still have a few more weeks to wait for eggs. I am getting impatient!!

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i put a fake egg (easter egg) in my nesting boxes to give my girls the hint (although they're still young), and yesterday when I checked the boxes like I always do....my heart just about stopped....then i remembered I'd put the fake egg in there.
    Wow, how stupid am I? I was fooled by a big fake orange egg that I should have remembered was already there.

Here's your sign.........[​IMG]

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 7 hens and 5 started laying between 19-20 weeks. It is now 25 weeks and the other 2 are not close to starting. Combs and wattles still pale pink and show no interest in the nest boxes. I am not complaining, I get on average of 5 eggs a day. John

9. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    LoL, Lori, that sounds like something I would do! Thanks for the giggle! [​IMG]

My 8 yr old son still comes running in with that 1 little Cochin egg all excited. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he goes out and has to collect 20 eggs!

So I have probably 8-10 weeks yet before most of mine start laying. I was originally figuring October, but that seems sooo far away! Maybe I will get lucky and have some early bloomers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by