1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age of Hens - Best Age Before Hatching Their Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OurFurryFriends, Oct 26, 2016.

1. OurFurryFriends

OurFurryFriends Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    I've looked everywhere and I'm waiting to hear back from the breeder, wondering how long I need to wait after and start laying eggs before I use her eggs to incubate and raise a baby chicks. Another words is it better to wait a few months after they started laying or do they need to be over a year etc. Thank you.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I had my best hatch (100% with 20 eggs) from my pullets that had been laying between 4-6 weeks when I collected. There are varying opinions of course, but the key is to give them time to be laying regularly, good quality and decent sized eggs. Some people have even incubator as soon as the pullet started laying. I prefer to give them time to make sure egg production is working well and the eggs aren't tiny.

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can set eggs as soon as they are laying consistently.

1 person likes this.
  4. snywalker

snywalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Someone on here actually said that they hatch the first eggs. Because those are the pullets that started laying at the youngest age.

I have never tried it, but it sounded logical.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The problem with first eggs is that they are the smallest that a hen will lay. They can also be inconsistent in shell quality. If you want fast developing birds, select eggs from the hens that started laying first, but wait till their eggs are of appropriate size. Remember that shells can't expand to accommodate a growing chick.

6. snywalker

snywalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    My method on picking eggs is a lot less precise. It's just whatever normal shaped eggs there are that day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by