Age of laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skittlez, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Skittlez

Skittlez Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I know every breed is a little different, but I am still waiting for eggs. My batam OEGB hen started 3 weeks ago. I get an egg every other day. She is 23 weeks old. My polish hen is also 23 weeks old, but No egg from her [​IMG]

I have 4 hens that are 20 weeks, no eggs. 1 hen around 16 weeks, not too worried about her. I have 3 pullets around 8 weeks, so I know they are not old enough.

Shouldn't I be getting an egg from the Polish and the 20 weekers? The 20 weekers are 1 BO, 1EE, 1SL ?( not sure what she is), 1 BR. I also have 1 bantam D'Uccle 23 weeks and no egg.

One bantam egg every other day is killing me! I need eggs. Do I need to sing to them? Maybe a massage?

All girls are healthy, free range by day, get crumbles and greens at night.

Am I just too impatient?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The earliest I've ever had a hen lay is 20 weeks.

I've had others that haven't laid until past 30 weeks.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Be patient and any day soon.....

Hybrids tend to lay early.....usually 20 weeks or occasionally less and pure breeds later.....my Brahmas were all over 6 months old before they started to lay.

If their combs and wattles are red then you should not have long to wait.

Sandie

4. Skittlez

Skittlez Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    Thanks guys. I guess I'm not as patient as I thought I was. Everday I go out and sing to them "Where are my eggs girls?". The just cackle at me. I think they laugh at me when I'm not looking. LOL!

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Do you have any oyster shell put out? Also, what kind of crumbles? Laying hens need layer feed. Neither of these will make them lay before they are 'ready' but you will have good shell development when they do start to lay.

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    do they have red combs yet? my BRs started laying at 26-30 weeks, my neighbors BOs started at 20 weeks and my EEs started at 24 weeks.

The earliest I ever had a chicken lay was my Australorp, she was 17 weeks old, but it looks like my Ancona is going to break that record!

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    isn't it so hard to be patient, I have 3 pullet only 1 laying. I put the hen egg in front of her last night and ask her where hers was, she went into the coop for about 10 minutes to no avail.

8. rainierlass

rainierlass Songster

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    Patience is a virtue they say..[​IMG]........mine didn't start til 20 weeks and some
    of the others not until 27 weeks ( Wellies - Wyandottes and a BA)

9. Skittlez

Skittlez Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    Do you have any oyster shell put out? Also, what kind of crumbles?

Yes, I have out free choice grit, and free choice oyster shell. Plus she gets layer feed and free range during the day.

My RIR and BR hen started about 20 weeks, so I guess I was hoping they would too. I hear the egg song everyday from about 4 of the girls, but no egg. Grrr. At least they like to sing [​IMG]

The earliest I ever had a chicken lay was my Australorp, she was 17 weeks old, but it looks like my Ancona is going to break that record!

Wow, I bet that was a surprise.

I feel so bad for my Polish hen, the roo is ready, but she is NOT. He is not being very nice and I have to kick him out for a while. Then he goes back to being nice.​

10. I totally agree that this is a VERY impatient time. My cousin has chickens about the same age as mine, and HE got HIS first egg! Where are mine??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by