Age of POL pullet vs prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickerdoodle, Jan 17, 2010.

1. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    My reasons for chickens is for pets with benefits (eggs!) but their health , happiness and well being is more important to us than the speed of getting their first egg (although it would be hard to wait...). I read that it is more likely for a pullet to suffer a prolapsed vent if she starts to lay at a young age. With this in mind I was wondering if it is best to get new chicks later in the summer so they don't lay their first egg as soon--basically go into winter not having layed an egg yet (preferably doing so early spring a year later), or is it better to get them earlier, like April, so they do lay early fall? To make matters more confusing, I read that chicks born later in summer are not as hardy as chicks hatched in spring. [​IMG] What is your experience?? Should I worry about it at all? [​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Get the chicks when it is best for you. Most are going to start laying around 24 weeks (give or take a few weeks).

It is not the time of year that makes the difference. It is the way you feed them. If you feed a high protein diet pass say week 12 then they will lay earlier. If you reduce the protein at week 12 they will mature slower and thus lay somewhat later. Understand I am generalizing here. saladin

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

In a book I read by Gail Damerow she mentions the ideal time to raise baby chicks is April to July. Pullets raised at other times may have the issues you mentioned if you don't adjust the lighting schedule. She had a chart in the book on the times to adjust it.
    Someone posted an excerpt she wrote in a magazine with similar information and the article can be found here at BYC. Shhh. Don't tell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85156

My experience: I raised chicks in early and mid February as well as May with a friend. None had any reproductive problems so far. One of the May Easter Egger chicks didn't lay her first egg until she was almost 8 months old.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you all for the info! I now remember reading Gail Damerow's book about not giving them too much protein before they lay. I thought April was a good time so I will probably be ordering them for the end of April to be on the safe side. I can't wait!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by