1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

age of pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mikeypalone, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mikeypalone

mikeypalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    henry co.
    at what age do you put a rooster in with your pullets

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Mine was in from the get go...3 days old.

3. mikeypalone

Nov 5, 2011
    henry co.
    I am getting two month old pullets at the end of feb. and I have an older rooster. I don't know how old the pullets should be to put them together

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    In our flock the roosters leave the young ones alone. We put our babies with the flock at around two months, but they are with their mother usually, although sometimes just their siblings. The roosters seem to know that the pullets are too young to do anything with. You should quarantine any new arrivals for a month or so anyway, then you could try putting the young ones in a pen where they can see and socialize with the rooster through the wire, and just see how they interact for a while. Then you might have a better idea. When ours are quarantined they are in a pen where they can at least hear the others, and vice versa.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. mikeypalone

Nov 5, 2011
    henry co.
    I will have them where they can see each other.so they will be three month olds by the time they go together so probably will be o k

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by