1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

age of roo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 26, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    How old is a roo when he is capable of fertilizing eggs?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Roosters can fertilize eggs pretty much from the time they crow...but for sure at 8-10 months of age. I think if your seeing your roo mating your hens, he would be able to fertilize eggs. Larger birds with more feathers (such as cochins) may take more time...or feather trimming in the vent areas on both birds.

3. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    thanks. my roo has been crowing for the longest time. born in April. the girls aren't even laying yet (also april babies). The roo is large and beautiful though...almost like someone slipped him in when i wasn't looking, he is so much bigger than his sister and the others that came at the same time. must be something in the feed that helped him mature so quickly!!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Oh ya he can fertilize eggs then [​IMG] My Serama has been crowing for a while too now and he's trying to mate the hens who are not laying yet either but they don't want anything to do with him [​IMG] Poor guy! What kind of chickens do you have?

5. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    the early developed roo is a black jersey giant. i also have buff orps and delawares that are the same age as the roo. I haven't seen him mount his sister, but he's been on the buff and delys. then I have buckeyes are about 6 or so weeks behind those. then japanese bantams and a rir bantam in the age range of the buckeyes. silkies. range broilers. and 50+ meat birds on the way! it's going to be an interesting fall as the first batch should be coming in to their laying cycle, there will be some meat bird rotations AND maybe some fertile eggs to give the silkies!!

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

WOW your going to have your hands full! LOL

7. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    oh yeah!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by