age old ? my coop size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rocket21, Jan 14, 2015.

1. rocket21

rocket21 New Egg

Jan 14, 2015
    Ive had banies before, and my run is already established with a fenced area of 75'x20' and ability to let them free range within my fenced acreage. question is im looking at buffsOs and Pearl WhiteLeghorns. how many would you consider in this run and how big of a coop should i construct.? thanks

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946092/how-many-roosters-how-big-of-a-coop

THIS THREAD ANSWERS A LOT ABOUT SIZE OF COOP.
    You have a pretty large run. How many chickens do you want??? You could keep 20 chickens provided your coop is adequate for that many. For 20 chicks, your coop would be near size of a 12 x 12 garden shed. Give or take. More room avoids overcrowding. Start small and expand as you see fit. Read some of these threads and you will get plenty of ideas. Hope this leads you to success. Also visit the learning center, as well as coops. Links are on top of page.
    OH AND [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might want to follow the link in my signature to get some of my thoughts on coop and run size. We keep them in such different climates and conditions, with different flock make-ups, and using different management techniques that there is no one magic number that covers us all. We are all unique.

I find that if I don’t crowd them I have fewer behavioral problems to deal with, I have more flexibility in handling things that come up, and I don’t have to work as hard. Working hard often relates to poop management. The more crowded they are the more concentrated the poop and at some point you have to do something about it.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by