Age Suggestion

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hendrix25, May 18, 2009.

1. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    My three Cayuga ducklings are supposedly 6-7 wks old, per the seller. But I am starting to question their age, bc several of you have suggested that they are younger than what I am intending. Here are some pics one of the night i got them (April 30), and then one for each week leading up til today. Please give you thoughts on their age.

Thanks
    Heather

april 30th
    [​IMG]

week 1 with me
    [​IMG]

week 2 with me
    [​IMG]

week 3 with me (thursday 5-14)
    [​IMG]

today 5-18
    [​IMG]
    you can see they are starting to feather on their wings, outer chest, and tails
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AGE SUGGESTIONS ARE WANTED!!![​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say maybe 4 weeks old, and that's if you've had them inside. By 4 weeks they should be almost fully feathered, if they haven't been kept too warm. The first pics of when you got them, they looked to be about 1 week old, maybe 2.

Looking at the pics again, I would say they were at most 1 week old when you got them.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I have ducks myself and I would say about 4 to 5 weeks old.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with Shelley and country bum. When you got them, they do look like they were only 1 week.

5. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    WOW! I am totally shocked. I was thinking they were younger than they are. The seller said that the mom has been gone for about a week, when I got them. So evidently they weren't with thier mom that long at all. Well thanks for your thoughts!

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I would say they are younger...My 4 week old mallards have most of their feathers and the flight feathers are coming in now....

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yes but small ducks (mallards) develop faster than larger ducks (Cayugas).

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

When you got them, they look to be about a week old.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yes but small ducks (mallards) develop faster than larger ducks (Cayugas).

Not true, I have a 4 week old pekin duckling that is completely feathered. It all depends on how warm they are kept. If they are kept cooler, they will feather out faster.

ETA: Mine hasn't had any heat other than room temp (when it was inside), and body heat of its week-older brooder mates since we got it at 2 days old. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by