1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age that Babies can go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by juliaronan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Hi Gang,
    I have my 6 week old buffingtons in the basement. I have been letting them out into an enclosed sunporch on warmer days. I am wondering if they can go out into the regular coop (no other chickens) at 8 weeks? I had read that they should have their adult feathers by then, but that will be in mid-December in GA. It can get down into the low 20's here. I had planned on putting them in the regular coop with heat lamps, if it's ok to put them out that soon.
    Thanks in advance,
    Julia

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

they can go out once all the feathers cover there body. and as long as they have a place to huddle up togeather out of the cold they should be ok

3. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    I'm in NJ and mine are out at 4 weeks. My coop is 5 x 3 x 4 with a 250w red heatlamp hanging as high as I could get it. I open the coop during the day so they can run around in a protected run and they've been fine since Monday. At night I close the coop. It was in the 20's last night.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Take them out. If not now, when? We've still the rest of December and January to go. It won't start to get any warmer until late February. I doubt you'd want to keep them indoors until then. They'll be just fine. I'd take them out anytime this week or next we you have a couple of "warmer" nights in your 3 day forecast. Watch your weather channel and when you see three consecutive nights that are in the 30's, that's you go, go, go signal. Hopefully your basement is in the 50's or 60's which will give them a leg up on the temperature change.

If you still have a heat lamp on, it is time to turn it off. Kindest thing you can do to help them prepare.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    turn off the heat lamp....get them outside...they are fully feathered, and ready to go....!

6. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Oh great!!!![​IMG] Thanks so much all of you! Wow, this is good news! I will watch the weather and follow your suggestions!
    Julia

7. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Quote:i second that

8. missc6499

missc6499 New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    HI,

I am new to this I have 4-5 week old chicks and they are lovely,they have been in doors with a lamp till about a week ago and today I put them outside for the first time they loved it! but grouped together as it turned colder and early eve, so bought them back in doors can they stay out now? its going to be -1 tonight but they have all their adult feathers kind regards

9. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hey Yall, I have 8 RIR chicks, 1 EE that are 7 1/2 weeks old. They have been outside since 3 weeks, when I couldn't take the chick dust anymore. The coop is small now, with a small watt bulb. They just go in and out, never stay until night. We have been in the 20's this last week, and they have done wonderful! And.... I have my bathroom back! We are in Texas, and I know temps are much different in the North. I lived in Wyoming for a year.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. mikeinri

mikeinri Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2011
    North Smithfield, RI
    Quote:5 weeks and they have adult feathers? I don't think so. Maybe one layer but nothing that will protect them from -1 even bunched up together. Hope you have a nice warm coop with a hot light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by