Age that Coturnix male will "foam"

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rittert3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    How early, in extended light will a coturnix male produce foam. After reading and with the colors I've selected I think this is the route I want to go, but I want to pick out the bird I want to keep almost right at 6 weeks and sell the rest. They will probably stay in a brooder setting until that time and I use white light 24/7 in my brooder but can use a timer if that is to much.

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I just noticed foam from mine about a week ago. They are 6 weeks today. I have the Jumbo Brown.

3. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

When they become a darn good barista they will foam.

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Forgot to add,
    Mine are indoors, with extended light.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Coturnix roos with proper lighting, feed and sameness can become sexually viable at as little as 4 weeks of age. Of course, color sexable strains can be color sexed before that. (There is a margin of error, about 15%+/-).

If one is looking for birds that can be sexed early so one can keep some, and get rid of the rest. I recommend simple wild/normal pattern browns, because they can be color sexed early. Stay away from the whites and range pattern birds.

What colors are we talking about here?

6. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Well most of the strains I have my eye on are NOT color sexable, and the birds will have extended light, but as long as they will foam by 6 weeks that will work just fine for me.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It would be safe to say by 6 weeks.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Though coturnix need more than just extended lighting to continue breeding during the winter. The lighting makes the hens lay, but if they are very cold I've found the males don't bother. So you'll get eggs but most will be infertile. Usually by 5-6 weeks you'll notice some foam, but it won't be much at first.

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    So should I go with a totally enclosed breeding pen for winter? I am building it now. I planned on the north side and the roof enclosed, plus the ends. I was going to put wire on the front but now I am thinking maybe a plexiglass window and enclosed, or shutters over wire so I can open it up when it gets warm again. Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by