1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age that layer isn't dangerous to youngin's?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I have a bunch of layer pellets, and can't really head out right now and get grower. My 4 twelve or so week old pullets are frequenting the large coop where my layers have their laying pellets, and eating their food. At what point does layer food stop being dangerous to younger chickens? Having two age groups is getting annoying [​IMG]

They've been spending more and more time in the big coop. Very soon I expect them to make the move on their own. They currently have medicated grower in their coop, which is removed during the day because the older ones spend time in their little coop.

And yes, I've talked to both groups about this issue...I don't think they're very good listeners...

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

I give layer pellet to my chickens once they show signs of being ready to lay...i.e. red comb, squatting etc. A small amount won't kill them but I wouldn't exactly recommend letting them wander where there is free layer pellet everywhere to gorge themselves on

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Well, I do have to say that they stay in their own coop/run until noon or 1pm every day, then they are let out to free range. I would say 85 or 90 percent of their waking hours are either munching on their grower, or free ranging. Do you think that 10% of the day that they might be gnawing on some layer would be harmful?

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I switch my birds to layer pellets at 16 weeks and have never had any issues.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Considering they aren't real "chick chicks" I wouldn't think so [​IMG]

6. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    I've been told to wait until they start actually laying eggs, reason being that layer feed has too much calcium for growing pullets.[​IMG]

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Mine started on layer full time at 12 weeks and started laying at 16-17 weeks and have been fine.

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I always figured that the danger was in giving them layer exclusively at a younger than laying age, but that I'd probably be safe if they were only supplementing their regular feed and free ranging. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by