age to add nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vsmenagerie, Dec 8, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    My pullets are 4 months old now and I am wondering when I should get them some nest boxes? I know I probably have a good 1-2 months before I see any eggs, if even then lol but curious if I should get them some made now or wait?

2. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    I got some for mine when they were about 4 months old! lol I didnt see any eggs until they were 7 months old but every single one has laid in the coop in the nest box [​IMG] I put plastic eggs in there the moment I got the nest boxes as well and none of my hens have laid outside the nest box. Except one she laid her first egg outside under a pile of junk lol but after that she has laid in the nest box everytime lol [​IMG] Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Now would be a good time to add boxes just make sure that they are lower than your roosts so they don't want to sleep in them. It would also be a good idea to add some type of fake eggs in them so that they get used to where to lay, I have always used golf balls and have good luck with them.

4. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Thanks, I think I will get some made up for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by