1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Age to Breed Hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Olive Oil, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Olive Oil

Olive Oil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2014
    La Grange, CA
    I have been breeding my older hens, but now have some young ones (5-7 months). They are breeding and laying. I have thought about incubating some of their eggs. Is it best to wait until they are a certain age? I know young hens tend to have a lot of double yolkers and the eggs are small. Do those factors present problems with the developing chicks?

Thanks for reading!

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have yet been able to hatch double yolkers, and I try to not incubate the very small eggs, that said, my pullets are 7 months old and a few of their eggs are a bit bigger so I have some under a broody and some in the incubator, due to hatch on the 16th.. Candled evening before last and 12 look very good, 2 of the 12 are not pullet eggs. Some will say wait til they are a year old, but I don't.. As ling as the eggs are a bit bigger then the tiny ones they pop out at first I go for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by