age to introduce chicks to larger flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by heather112588, Apr 12, 2011.

1. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I currently have 10 chicks, rougly 4 weeks old and most are starting to escape from their baby chick box...I was wondering at what age could i introduce them to my larger guys? what age would they be ok and able to hold their own with the pecking order fights?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    When momma hen raises her own chicks, she kicks them out at 8 weeks. But I have let them out at 6 weeks before, just make sure the little ones have a safe place to go to to get away if needed. Usually, IME, the older hens don't care so much about the younger ones, I have not had any problems. You could start now, by just putting tehm outside away fromt he regulars and then take them in at night into the borrder. i have done that before too.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    my chicks just turned 5 weeks old. i have the coop and run divided, (check my byc page) they can see each other in the run obviously, and it's funny to watch them watch each other through the fence! i have one older buff orp that just stands and watches them. she's not the 'boss hen' with the other ladies, so it makes me wonder if she's been broody and raised a few chicks in her day....it's funny because one of the chicks will stand right at the fence with her, and they just gaze at each other.

my plans were at 8 weeks to let them free range together, but be out there with them for at least the first hour or so to make sure they have an escape if needed. my 1 1/2 year old buff who IS the boss lady has shown when introducing new hens in the past that she will certainly let them know who is the head egg counter around here! she has paced back and forth at the fence every day for quite a while...maybe she'd just feeling broody herself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by