Age to move chickens to shed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three Generation, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Three Generation

Three Generation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    I have 15 silkies and 9 rhode island red roosters that are two months old. I also have 25 production red hens that are 1 month old. I live in michigan and was wondering how old they should be before I move themout tho the shed that has no power, and two windows. The coop is 12x16 with two seperate rooms for chickens within it. There is 3-4inches of sawdust on the floor and there will also be foam insulation on the walls covered with plywood to keep then heat in. Any advice as to when to move them out to the coop would be much appreciated. And also if i should keep them locked up all the time in the shed while they are still somewhat young or if I could give them some outside time.

Thanks for any and all information.

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Once they are fully feathered they should be ok. But, since you don't have a way to put a part time heat lamp out in your coop, I'd be careful about throwing them out in the cold all of a sudden. since you are in Michigan you still probably have some hard winter left. I would suggest introducing them to increasingly cold temps so they don't go from a relatively warm temp to zero degrees in quick fashion. I moved my chicks out to the coop at 6 weeks or so, but I could run an extension cord out to the coop and put a red heat lamp hooked to a thermal cube that turned on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. This year I (hens are 14 mos). I don't use any heat at all and it's been down below zero for a couple nights. All did ok.

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Hey- I was also wondering this. Would 6 week old with good feathering be okay in a shed in March?? We have power so we could run the heat lamp out there, I just hate doing that (afraid of fire)

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    when they're all feathered in it should be ok
    we put our babies in at anywhere from 7-8 weeks
    but it was in the summer

5. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:that should be ok :)
    and dnt worry about a fire, its a be ok

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    9 weeks is supposed to be the best age to put them in.

7. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:it is, but you can do it whenever you feel they're ready

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put mine in the coop last year at 6 weeks. However, that was mid-May. I used a heat lamp at night for awhile even after they were in the coop.

I started letting mine outside SUPERVISED closely when they were only a couple of weeks old. I would only do it on a warm day and only for a short time. They need chick grit available before yo let them go outside because they will immediately start eating grass, bugs, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by