age to show a polish and I'm a newbie so a few ?'s

VioletandBodie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
port
is the an age where the become "prime" for showing is is it just one they reach full feather? or maybe a certain size? is it different for different polishes? how do you even show a chicken....walk it around on a halter? i have only ever shown grade Holstein calf's and yearling so i don't know anything! though i did get to watch a small thing where there put some birds in cages in front of judges and when they were done the handlers/owner grabbed the bird. Is that all there is to showing (besides grooming and prepping) and when my birds go to show what can i do to reduce stress i will be at fair all of the time because of cow showing. (random ?) can you buy a halter/harness for a chicken? sorry if i sound insane! i haven't even got my chicks yet but I'm already prepping for fair in summer 2011. I'm so nervous that a will permanently damage them in some way or another
and if you would be so kind to show your prize wining girls so i know what to look for in a good chicken.

Last edited:
I've never shown anything. But I'd imagine showing birds is more like showing cats than dogs. That is to say. They are judged in a cage and maybe the judge pulls each bird out to feel it's frame. but you wouldn't lead it around a ring like you do at a dog show.

If you're looking specifically at polish - check out the polish breeders club.

DD just showed for the first time this year at two shows, so we're hardly pro's or anything
tongue.png
but here's what I learned.

One show was the first of May, an Open Show, the second was the 4H Fair in early July.

At the open show, DD received compliments on her Large Fowl Polish Hen (White Crested Blue) that her Type was good -- that means her body shape is close to what the Standard Of Perfection calls for in a polish hen. They also said though, that her color could be better. She's not a smooth blue color all over, but kind of blotchy. Breeding her to a WC Black roo could produce chicks with her same good body type but better coloring. By the fair, her feathers were not looking super - the sun had turned them a little (like when I go out in the sun and my hair lightens -- hers got a little red tint in places) and she's about ready to moult, so she just wasn't in tip top form.

26854_annabelle_and_pretty_girl_pix_summer_10_005.jpg

26854_annabelle_and_pretty_girl_pix_summer_10_002.jpg

The Bantum White polish pullet was well liked by the judges at both shows. They gave the feedback that she was "A good looking bird". At the fair, we didn't have a "Reserve of Breed" catagory, but the judge made the comment that if we did, it would go to DD's bird. She started squacking about that time and he added "And she knows she's a pretty bird too!" The judge was microphoned so we could all hear his comments as he judged -- way cool! I learned a TON about all the breeds that day, he was very informative and gave useful feedback and information on almost every bird.

26854_annabelle_and_pretty_girl_pix_summer_10_008.jpg

26854_annabelle_and_pretty_girl_pix_summer_10_001.jpg

As to the "How" of the show. At the fair, DD walked with the others in that class, into the ring & placed her bird in a cage. The judge went to each cage and evaluated each bird. He took each one out of the cage and checked it over pretty good, then put it back. This was Annabelle being judged - WC Blue Polish hen

26854_annabelle_and_pretty_girl_pix_summer_10_007.jpg

At the open show, we put birds in cages when we arrived, according to their class. The judge came to the cages to judge each class of bird -- the aisles were blocked off to spectators. When your catagory was done being judged, and the aisle was reopened, you could go to your cage and read the result on the card on your cage. At the end of the day, all the Best of Breeds were gathered up front in cages & the judges determined Best of Show & reserve of show (large fowl & Bantum).

Back
Top Bottom