age you can tell pullets from ckls.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chirpchirp, Apr 16, 2009.

1. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    hi, i am new to this forum, new to chickens and trying to find a good place to order a few chicks. at what age can you tell the sexes apart (some websites only offer straight run of some chicks and i only want females) most online hatcheries only ship a minimum of 25 (i only need 8-10) and most have outrageous shipping. if you have any good suggestions i would appreciate it! thanks in advance, chirpchirp

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Check out My Pet Chicken or Meyer hatchery for small orders of sexed chicks. I think shipping from My Pet Chicken was around $35.00 for 8 chicks last time I checked.

3. LauraM

LauraM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Everett, WA
    if you want only a certain quantity and want sexed chicks,

1) check your farm co-op/supply store if you have one (now is the time!)

2) check CL, you can get them a few weeks old and then it should be pretty easy for at least the breeder/seller to tell.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    ideal does not have a minimum on chicks as long as you order 20 or 30$ total. Meyer hactchery has a small order program too. Sometimes you can pick chicks up from a hatchery if you live close enough.

5. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Do you live near any feed stores/hatcheries?

If not, mypetchicken may be your best bet.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  7. jennmugg

jennmugg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Titusville Florida
    I went to Rural King and got them for .99 a chick. I went in with another random customer to meet their 25 chick minimum. I bought ISA Browns, which are sex links. You can tell if they will be roos or pullets by the color of the chick. Roos are yellow or white and pullets are brown or buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by