Ages, Chickens, Ducks, etc.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsKemmerlin, Jul 14, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Okay, so I was given my babies three weeks ago, Friday, after a friend of mine found them abandoned - and assumed that they were only a day or so old - but as of last night they finally have the starts of a few feather tubes! [​IMG] Anyone have an idea on how old they really are? I'm about 99.9% positive they are Muscovy.

Secondly, I have chickens. And we are planning on putting them all together. My hens? No problem! They half ignore the little cuties (unless the ducklings are chasing after them, and they are forced to exercise [​IMG]) My rooster? Not so much. The three ducklings chase him around the yard and everytime they get close enough, they bite his feet... and they only do it to him! [​IMG] ..I've sectioned off a portion of the chicken's run with wire fencing and built a tiny coop to go in there while they are "adjusting" to one another. Again, the hens couldn't care any less about their presence. My roo; puffs out his chest, sticks out his wings, feathers all stand up, stares and makes awful noises at them. [​IMG] And what's even worse is they have been out of their coop/run for three days because the rain has been so bad here that I moved them back inside - and my roo still stands there like they're in there and he's waiting for them to come out. [​IMG] I was thinking maybe they are all male ducklings? Could this be why he reacts to them this way? Or why the ducklings only bite at him?

And last but not least, flooring. In my run I have dirt and grass, of course. I've heard pea gravel is great to use with the ducks, but does anyone have experience with how their chickens care for the difference in flooring? Or is there something that is recommended for a chicken/duck run? They get plenty of time to forage in the evenings when DH or I get home, so that isn't a concern of mine... smell, clean-up, and duckie/chicken foot comfort is though [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help/info! [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Sand might be the better choice for chickens and ducks in a run together. I'm surprised your hens don't mind the ducklings, mine chase and scare the crap out of the new silkies everyday. I'd definitely keep the rooster away from the ducklings but I would probably keep a rooster away from chicks too, just to be safe. Hope someone who knows stuff helps soon.

3. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I'm to the point of getting rid of him - he's not aggressive at all towards anyone (people, dogs, etc) But I think I'd be terrified if I were one of the little ducklings! I thought about sand, but that's what I have in their brooder - and boy does it get smelly when wet! [​IMG]

4. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Anyone have any suggestions on their ages and/or the flooring question? This was originally posted last week, so they now have little stubby feathers coming in on their tails, and barely outlining their breasts... [​IMG]

5. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I would say around the 3 week mark for age. No idea on the gravel tho.

6. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Thank you! That falls in the time frame I was thinking! [​IMG]

I thought it was funny that on my little dark brown and yellow ducklings, their feathers seem to be coming in white. And my light tan and yellow duckling seems to be having brown/tan feathers coming in [​IMG] Seems a little backwards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by