Aggersive roo need advice!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkielover5, Oct 5, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so i just baught a very nice looking black rosecomb cockeral. a few days after the show i baught him at he bite me. and now everytime i put my hand into his cage he attacks me. friend said she had a rooster like that and would chase him around the yard for about an hour a day pinning him againsted a wall with the rake and ripping out feathers, after about a week he stopped fighting. but hes a show rooster so i dont want to reck his feathers. latly i have just been batting him around with my hand and picking him up and holding him againsted a wall for like 30 secs at a time. i also want him to be a good showmanship bird so i make sure i play with his tail and wings alot so i handle him about every day. well yesterday he cut my hand with his spurs so im just about fed up enough to give up and let him be mean [​IMG] here is a picture i took after i baught him at the show, i know its not great sorry
    [​IMG]

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    "pinning him againsted a wall with the rake and ripping out feathers"? Sheesh!! Stalk him, chase him yes. Ripping out feathers goes too far IMO. Chase him, make him be the one to move first. You be the dominant one, without being abusive. Get some gloves. After you have chased him to the point where he moves away from you calmly, grab him and gently pin him to the ground until he is in a 'squat", quits struggling, and lays there for a few seconds before he gets up. You will need to do this regularly and often. You may want to remove his spurs.
    Lot's of other ideas on this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573517
    If none of these work, cull. If you try to show a mean roo, you'll hate it I'm sure, but that's just me, why show when it's an unpleasant chore?

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I had a bantam roo that was a brat to me too...know what made him like me? A bath. I was really worried about taking that nasty little you-know-what to a show, but as soon as I put him in the warm water and started "preening" him, he nearly fell asleep in the water and was a total gentleman at the show. It took almost three months before he jumped at me again through the fence. Had another bath, and that was that. LOL Good luck!

I've tried the hold them down in a squat thing too...that has also worked, but didn't buy me as much time as the bath did.

4. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    ya see i fight him with my hand by like grabbing at his feet when he jumps at me and just batting his head and grabbing his tail much like a rooster would do, i pin him againsted the wall and also carry him around on his back and normally, im just mad cause he cut up my hand...little brat his spurs arnt even that sharp [​IMG]

5. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    No offense, SilkieLover, but I think what you are doing to the rooster is causing him to be more aggressive...and you shouldn't hold them on their backs.
    Do what the posts above have suggested. Carry him under your arm for 15 minutes each day while doing chores...Speckled Hen has posted good advice
    on this subject.

6. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:well holding them on their back will hypnotis them so i do it for a little bit just to calm him down. and i dont agree with pulling out feathers either my friend just did that cause he was a huge aggrisive rooster that would chase her 3 year old daughter around. but putting them on their back doesnt hurt them

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:And all you are accomplishing is winning the fights. You have to make him submissive to you, or you will always have to fight him.
    [​IMG]
    See this big guy? He could hurt me bad if he had a mind to. But......as soon as he hit his tweens, I made him start to submit to me by pushing him to the ground in a squat. In other words, making him submit to me the way the hens submit to him. That makes ME the Alpha, not him. He has never even done the wing dance towards me, or any aggressive behavior. I have never held him upside down (which can be harmful to his lungs), or held him hostage while doing chores. I am the BOSS and it took no fighting to attain that status.

8. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    He's new, he's scared, he doesn't know you and you're beating him up. Sorry, but I'd bite you, too lol
    Not sure all the bird-bashing is neccessary. You don't have to beat them into submissiveness. There are firm and gentle ways to do things, too.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Be satisfied the rooster can't use a .22. You'd be in much worse trouble. No creature wants to get beat up.

10. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    We don't keep any people-aggressive roosters, no matter how attractive they are. I think the game bird breeders have the right idea in breeding for docility towards people. Your friend with the rake sounds sadistic and I agree 100% that winning an individual fights just goads a bird into challenging you over and over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by