Aggresive Amerucana hen or roo? UPDATED w/PICS!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by S.L.Swope, Dec 20, 2011.

1. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok I know pis would help and I will go home and take some later today to post but I couldn't help but ask and start the thread

I have what was an Amerucana hen from Ideal poultry, 6 weeks old now. He/she is very aggressive towards the other chicks, as big as my BO thats a week olderand has thick green legs. He will rush at the others and display his neck feathers (makes them all stand out from his neck), he used to do this towards the other known rooster that we have since rehomed to a nice lady I met on here.Oh yeah and his comb is still flat to head but is deffinatly turning red compared to everyone else. I know they have pea combs just not sure what they look like when the roo's start to grow.

*Ok I edited original posts to add pics*
    Oh and the comb is more red in life than in pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

the behavior you are describing is not really a gender trait. All my chicks do it, males and females. my adult birds do this behavior sometimes as well, I have 2 hens who did this on a daily basis as a form of play between the two.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your aggressive EE may be either a pullet or cockerel. Young pullets as well as cockerels go through this posturing while playing/developing the pecking order. Only time will define the gender for sure.

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have witnessed all of my six girls act that same way towards each other, so that behavior wouldn't be a deciding factor. With that being said, males tend to be more splashy or patchy in color. Specifically with bigger patches of color on the wings. If your chick has a pretty even feather pattern, chances are, it is a pullet. A picture would be the only way to tell for sure. And even then, you may have to wait a bit for all of the feathers to come in to be absolutely certain. [​IMG]

ETA: Forgot to mention that hatcheries don't sell Ameraucanas (even though they label them as such), so you have an Easter Egger. I love my six EE girls...they are very pretty and have great personalities. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    That is a roo. Those big patches of color and the more reddish feathers coming in on his wings and back are roo colors.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

yup have to agree with Bloom...now with pictures I can say you have a boy!

For an EE with the color and that comb - definitely SCREAM a young cockerel

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    I hate to say this but THANK GOODNESS! He's kinda mean looking agrressive towards the others and well.....[​IMG]

I want more chicks in the spring but don't have room unless I move a few on to other homes.

8. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    That's 100% roo...roo...roo [​IMG]

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    EE Roo.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens