Status
Not open for further replies.

BHep

Crowing
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Faison, NC
Hi all...
Question... anyone have aggressive Muscovy drakes ?
Here is whats happening.....

I have lost 3 chickens. 1, 2 weeks ago and 2 this weekend. The chickens are in their coops, they can stick their heads out and do, you know, the grass is greener on the other side syndrome.
idunno.gif

Anyway this Muscovy drake patrols the isle. The birds have broken necks.
sad.png
I think he is grabbing them and breaking their necks. I have seen him chase down other free range chickens, even roosters and tear their tails out.

Yes I have other ducks over 20. He is the only one that hangs out in the barn, he does not even socialize with the other ducks, he sleeps with them once in a while but prefers to sleep on the floor of the layer coop. I have to go out every night and move the bantams out of the layer coop and put them in the banty coop.

I am going to have to clip his wings and lock him up. I won't let him near my young Muscovy hens. He may be my first duck dinner.
hmm.png

Here is a pic of the isle, so you have an idea what I am talking about. :

72330_back_row.jpg

As someone who has more than 60 Muscovys and I just went and bought more this evening, I've never seen this type of behavior that you're describing. I've seen my drakes chase my guineas or roosters but they have never once hurt anyone or anything. Once in a while I'll see them tussle with each other but that's it.

For anyone to say they're mean or nasty, they obviously don't know anything about them.

Breaking the necks sounds more like predator behavior. I free range my Muscovys and they free range with all kinds of birds from other Muscovys to Call ducks to large fowl chickens to geese to itty bitty Little Mama who's a Serama hen. None have ever been hurt or injured by any of my drakes and my drakes top the scales at 17+ lbs.

To answer the very first question: Yes, muscovy drakes can be the most menacing and pathetically violent, mean and harmful creatures in the world. There, I said it
lau.gif
. However, the laugh was for the way I said it. It's unfortunately true. Some hand-raised drakes are pretty calm.

Now about the generally subject: I think you should liquidate your muscovy stock.When Muscovies get cruel, they get cruel to everything for no apparent reason. Sorry to hear about the losses he caused.
he.gif

Sorry for your losses. Maybe he is just a rogue drake. Do you have a security camera you could set up to see if he is indeed the culprit? also you might need better wire so they can't stick their heads through for a predator to be able to get them.

Sorry to hear about your chickens. I don't have any experience to help you. It might be a good idea to keep him separate for a while.

By the way, I find Muscovies to be the sweetest waterfowl on the planet in general. But, you do get some that are jerks just like any other species.

Ducks and Banny Hens?? Are you seriously telling them to "liquidate", as in get rid of, there whole flock of Muscovys just because of one drake? I can see getting rid of the one trouble causing drake, but to tell them to get rid of the whole flock is just asinine....No alternatives? No guidance? Just get rid of the whole flock?? WOW..

I've never had a "nice" Muscovy drake. Mine have always been nasty, no matter where I got them from. Only the femalea are nice.

Your duck may very well be killing your chickens. Eat him before he kills anymore.

Add some smaller mesh fencing at chicken level so they cannot stick their necks out and whatever predator is breaking their necks can't? Of confirm it is the drake, and dispatch with the drake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom