Aggresive Roo!

yodelhawk

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
Hi guys
I'm new to keeping chickens and here is my prob: I got rid if the Roo that came with my place because he was tormenting the little roo that we saved after a highschool project. It was so bad that the little guy would not come down from the rafters of the coop to eat or drink. (we set up special rations for him on high shelves) We found a good home for the older Roo, but since his departure the young one is turning into a little SH**! He has charged my wife several times and scratched up her leg. Today he did the same to me and it was only due to his fast retreat that his is not in the pot right now. He lives in a nice house with an outdoor run and has 6 hens to keep him company. Is there anything I can do to curb this behavior or should I just resolve myself to fireing up the BBQ? Thanksin advance for any help you can give me... YH

There is a wonderful page about roos Roo Behavior

The main thing is to show that little sucker that you are the #1 Roo. You need to correct the behavior soon though.

Good luck. Give some of the techniques you find in these forums a try before you stew pot him though. They can be taught manners. Many have had great results in just grabbing them up and holding them until they settle and doing it each time they misbehave. it is like saying "Look little roo, I can snatch you up any time I want to and hold you still....now chill"
gig.gif

Last edited:
Not always....that boot can really tick them off and make matters worse. RIRs are a classic example of that...boot one of them and you can have real problems.

I mean think about it...if someone kicked you what would you do? Take it? or Fight back?

Back
Top Bottom