Aggression toward ONE hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cotrav5, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Cotrav5

Cotrav5 New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    It's 9 against one in my coop. The odd (wo)man is getting her feathers pecked by the other hens. I first thought she was molting but watched and waited for that to pass. Today I saw 3 other hens go after the one. I'm concerned about her getting killed by her flock mates. Any suggestions??

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    what breeds are they? Did they all grow up together or are they different ages?

Chickens will fight for their spot. I have had a hen that refused to behave like the bottom and was attacked constantly, balded, and bloodied. I had to rehome her. I had not seen anything like it prior or since. There was just something not right with her and the others knew it. It is instinctual for them to cull their own kind.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Some try to disrupt the flock matrix by isolating the worst offenders until a new pecking order is established and then integrating the flock once again.

I've never had this problem but this is probably due to free ranging at all times, which makes for ways for lesser birds to eat, live and socialize with room to run...but I've still never noticed one flock member picking upon another. If I did, I would cull the weaker member that all the birds pick on....this removes the common denominator and also removes weaker genetics from the flock.

4. Cotrav5

Cotrav5 New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    My flock is (6) golden comets and (4) leghorns. They've been a blended flock since May. I think Daughterofeve may be on to something with culling their own. There could be something wrong that I don't see. This same hen hasn't layed in weeks. To her credit she gives way to the aggressors and seeks refuge by hiding. Thanks for your input.

5. Ilona

Ilona Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    I have same problem, check out my post called beat up chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by