1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive 1 year old Silkie roo *update*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christie Loves Silkies, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

So an update with my roo.
    me and my mum have found a new home/s for him.
    he was my first chicken, i watched him grow into a beautiful bird.
    now i see how hard it is to re home something ive grown attached too.

I know its for the best, and for the best for my flock..
    its going to be hard to let him go.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I have a JB roo who has started doing this with my husband. When I asked your question on a different thread, I was given several suggestions. One was of course, freezer camp, which I'm hoping to avoid as he is not only good to his girls, but also beautiful and I'd like to breed him. One was to have my husband handle him more, that maybe he isn't being held enough and so started feeling like DH was an invader in the flock. I've been going out in the evening when he is calmest and sleepy and holding him for awhile each night. He is very skittish and shy during the day. I think for it to be truly effective DH is going to have to as well.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck, I'll be watching for ideas from this thread too!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have a silky roo, also about a year old, who actually spurred me in the eyes a few weeks ago and gave me two lovely shiners. He did it so fast, I don't know how I even managed to close my eyes, but he got my eyelids rather than my actual eyes.

Anyway, he is normally a good roo, too, and I do hold him in my lap and hand feed him, etc...but...he is at his crankiest in the morning when he first comes out of the coop and wants WOMEN AND FOOD...NOW. And there I was with my hand in the coop at eye level and he just went for me. Usually, I put the food in and then open the pop door, but I must have been still asleep.

I have seen suggestions where people say you should beat the crap out of your rooster, dunk them in water, etc., and that might work, too...but also read something where that makes you an aggessor, which is what he expects...somebody to fight with (turns you into a rooster). I don't fight with Harry and avoid confrontational situations (and his "cranky time') and we have gotten along fine ever since.

Good luck with your roo, Silkies are very stubborn and interesting little critters.

deb g

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I really don't have any good suggestions to make him stop. I have a four year old silkie roo that is down right mean. I have never figured out how to make him less aggressive but I have learned to watch where he is at all times. I don't consider him a threat since he can't jump very high but I do remove his spurs when they start to get any length to them - the spurs are what hurts otherwise he is like a fluffy bunny hitting my leg. When he really annoys me I just hold him down for a few minutes and he runs off afterwards. If he wasn't since a beautiful bird (in looks not personality) he would have been gone years ago.....

5. Laddybug

Laddybug New Egg

Apr 2, 2010
    HI, I'm not the pro here , but I do love my Silkie roosters!
    They seem to get a little twitter-patted around 7M to a year ,as all teen age boy's.
    This has worked for me , can't say it work's for all !
    I treat them like they treat hen's, I hold them down with two hands , one on there back and the other on there head.
    I hold them down for about 30 secants or more and then let them up, if they still act roostery , I do it again and again , about 3 to 4 times.
    Now the trick is, I do this every time they act like they wont to be ugly to me.
    Some roosters take a little longer then other"s , so don"t give up to soon.
    Some I"v even had to crow at when I've held them down LOL, not a good sound coming from a mid. age women LOL
    Hope this helps !

6. Christie Loves Silkies

I used to use the method Laddybug just said, when he was attacking my other chickens which worked and made him stop
    If my roo wasnt beautiful in looks also, he would of been gone ages ago. but he is my first chicken, and I don't want to lose him but I might have too.

its only staretd a few months ago, and I already have scars on my feet from his beak.

I always watch where he is, even when i walk away from him to go back inside, i dont turn my back to him.
    and when I am outside i always look around for him, cause his very quite.

I will try the friendly method first, if it doesnt work, i will move on to the next.

I only want to change his behavior because 1 im over being attacked and 2 i could be selling/getting rid of him, and i dont want him to attack the new owners, cause that will make me feel horrible.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  7. Christie Loves Silkies

I'm sure he would still find away to attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by