Aggressive 2 day old bantams!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenichick, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I raised 29 standard chicks in my brooder and never saw one bitty actually behave in a way that made me worry for anothers safety before they were 3 weeks old, then it was just feather picking and plucking. Ok so......

I have 16, one day old feather footed bantams in one half of my dividable brooder. Last night, I added a baby that was several hours old to the brooder box with them. Most of the Silkies would just cuddle with it and sleep with it. But this one chick that is NOT a Silkie, that might be a Mille Fleur, kept picking at this new chick VERY agressively and then started to drag it by it's foot. Then the other chick that looked like that one started picking hard at it too! The most aggressive one drug it a good 4 inches before I scooped his little butt up. Of course I won't allow that behavior to continue so I move the two agressive non-silkie bantams and three others to the other side of the brooder for now.

Has anyone ever seen a 1-2 day old chick this agressive, I bet he's a rooster!?!?

Anyway I'll put the bantams all back together and the standards together when Pidge is finished hatching her brood, but for now BULLY is in the penalty box!! [​IMG]

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that's good. they do often show their natures when young. if you are a chicken eater, then i'd say you've got your first prime canidate. otherwise, it's a free to good home sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by