Aggressive 3.5 wk old roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by norcal, Apr 17, 2009.

1. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    I have 9 BR's, about 3.5 weeks old. I think 2 are roos. And the small roo is being aggressive. They all peck at each other occasionally, but HE is just mean. Goes after their eyes & tops of heads mostly. [​IMG] I separated him, but 3.5 wks seems young to have this problem. ??

He was sad/depressed while alone, and didn't eat yesterday while alone. So I was putting him in w/ the others only while supervised and he would eat/drink. I think he's eating now in his bachelor pad....but not sure, he's not happy with me, and goes after my hand at times.

Any ideas? I hope for them to go in the coop this weekend. Their quarters aren't that cramped though, they have the recommended space.

Once I took him out, the girls were HARMONIOUS again. [​IMG] The big roo seems like a sweetheart (in comparison).

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    dont...keep...jerks.

Thats my rule.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Pick him up and hold him alot, that should fix his aggressive behavior with you. You could also try giving the chicks some places to escape from him like some small roosts a foot off the ground. Maybe put in 2 waterers and feeders so no one is picked on while eating/drinking.

4. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    He's still mean, and he peeps ever-so-loud at times (as he's lonely). I can't deal w/ how mean he is, every time I try to put him in w/ the others he waits about 30 seconds and then goes after their heads/eyes. [​IMG]

We're about to put our others in the coop (1 week or so), and I'm wondering what to do with him? I don't want him in the garage. I do have one rabbit hutch that's empty......

Any ideas?

5. norcal

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:I have been holding him daily, and it's still not working. [​IMG]

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think you should definitely think abou tletting him grow a bit more and eat him. Or sell him. I'd do the same to an aggressive hen, too. I have small children and that behavior will not be tolerated.

7. Sylvie72

Sylvie72 Out Of The Brooder

We had a Mean BR too, guess what...
    We had a nice supper one night "a la rooster"
    Jumped on my leg one too many times...

8. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I am seeing some aggression within my roos too. I have decided that the mean ones will definitely be for dinner. I plan on keeping a couple but their attitudes are going to determine which are keepers and which will be dinner.

9. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    I have some 7 week old chicks who I have similar problems with aggression. I have 12 chicks that were supposed to be all girls. One I am pretty sure is a rooster but hasn't been aggresive yet. Then there are two crested polish that have been going after my hand when I reach in to get the food dishes. I can't tell yet if they are roosters but if they continue I plan on taking them to the auction. Does anyone know if Polish are a more aggresive breed? I have been spending about 1/2 hour a day handeling them but it does not seem to make a difference. I have another polish that loves to cuddle and fall asleep on me. Funny how the personalities are so different.
    Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by