Aggressive 4-month-old silkie roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Three Silkies, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Three Silkies

Three Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi. I have a 4-month-old silkie roo penned with 2 silkie pullets the same age. Lately, he has been really mean. He has been pecking the girls until the scream and today he went both me and a friend of mine. He won't let the hens eat the fresh veg I give them (but still lets them eat their grain) and now they are hiding upstairs from him and panting with stress. Do I have to get rid of him or is there a way I can train him to be nicer? (First time chicken owner. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you)!

2. aleebama

aleebama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Soup pot!!!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Can't train aggression out of a cockerel. He's still young and may eventually calm down a bit, but I'd cull him just to give the hens a break from that kind of behavior.

4. Three Silkies

I thought that might be the case. How sad because I really love him. Thanks for your replies.

5. aleebama

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Is retiming him an option?

6. aleebama

Jan 15, 2012
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Rehoming...not retiming!!! Lol! Sorry!

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I honestly wouldn't rehome him, all that does is pass the problem on to someone else. Besides, usually people are interested in Silkies bc they're known to be sweet and docile. IMHO- he is NOT fit for breeding or rehoming.
    Nikki

8. Three Silkies

Ha ha! I was like "what is retiming?" You got my hopes up. I thought it might be some sort of new way of training him.

9. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I'm so sorry, but the only thing you can do are A) Chase him around whenever you see him, B) Leave him be, or C) Soup Pot. So sorry.

10. Three Silkies

Thank you for your honesty and kindness. I know I will cry my eyes out when he goes (probably this weekend), but it's for the best, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by