aggressive Americana Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zella chapman, Mar 22, 2015.

1. zella chapman

zella chapman New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I have a 1yr old Americana Rooster and 10 laying hens, a very large chicken yard and two med chicken houses.

The rooster is jumping on the chickens backs most of the time and the backs of their heads are now bald and they have their feathers ripped out on their backs from his feet. The hens used to be beautiful, now they look moth eaten.

The rooster is a great protector, and really looks after the hens, but is very aggressive to people. We have to wait till dark to sneak in and get the eggs, fill food & water containers.

Is this normal for roosters? Does anyone have Americana roosters? Thanks, Zella

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! I've had many different roosters and half have been aggressive and the other half amazing! The only advice I have for bad rooster is Re-home him. Good luck!

3. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    Cull him and get you another one, life is to short to be ruled by your own rooster. Your in charge not him.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Time to invite him for dinner. There are plenty of well mannered roosters out there that are not human aggressive or abusive to hens, and can still be great flock watchers.

5. zella chapman

zella chapman New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Thankyou for the helpful comments on my Americana Rooster. I have a a few chickens for eggs and pets. Will try to find him another home.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Why would you pass him off to be someone else's issue? In your own words he is human aggressive.

7. zella chapman

zella chapman New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    Someone that has free range chickens with a barn and field etc would not be a problem to anyone. I only have backyard chickens that have more limited space. I think he would do great with a open space to roam in.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Send him to someone with FULL DISCLOSURE! He needs to be dinner, if not for you, then elsewhere. He will be happy to attack any humans anywhere, and isn't even polite to the hens. He's useless, IMO. There are wonderful roosters out there who would be an asset to your flock. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by