Aggressive and Crowing Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brius, Jan 9, 2017.

1. brius

brius New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    Hello! I have two 11 week old red sex link hens. When we first brought them home at 2 weeks, they were very calm and loved being around humans. They actually cried out when we weren't near them. They have been very nice and good hens for a while, until one of them started crowing a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was just one, but then the other started crowing as well, I think mimicking the other one. They are both definitely hens because of their breed and coloration. The neighborhood does not allow chickens, so we have to keep them a secret, but if they keep crowing the secret will be let out. And also, just starting about last week, one of them, Cinnamon, has become very aggressive towards us. If we reach in to grab her, she bites, and holds on as hard as she can. The other one, Priscilla, is the sweetest thing, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to have to give them away, and eating them is NOT an option. Any tips?

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome, and can you post pictures of your birds?

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Can you post pictures? Crowing at such an early age means cockerel. Where did you get them? I'm going to guess they came from someone breeding 2nd or 3rd generation red sex links not knowing the trait only works for the first.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sounds like a classic case of denial. The behavior you describe is that of two cockerels. There will never be eggs from these "hens".

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

....and pullets/hens can make quite the ruckus, often louder than a crower, so don't count on an all female flock to keep your secret.

Oh and Welcome to BYC!

6. brius

brius New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first two are of Priscilla, the one who is sweet and not aggressive, but still sometimes crows

The second two are of Cinnamon, the one who is aggressive and crows often.

Thank you for all of your comments also!

7. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    Looks to me like you have 1 pretty girl and 1 pretty boy ;) Its odd though-- the comb looks bigger in the first photo?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. brius

brius New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    Yes, that was what I was afraid of... but yeah the docile one if the first photos has just a flat comb, and the aggressive one in the second pictures has a large spikey comb

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Both are definitely cockerels. The first just has a rose comb, while the second has a single comb.

They are not sex links either. Red sex link pullets are usually red with white tail and wing tips. And that rose comb means they came from a mixed flock.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Totally agree with keesmom.... both cockerels and the person you bought them from lied or knows nothing if they told you they are sex links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by