Aggressive baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BetsyB0101, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    I am really new to this so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I picked up some baby chicks at the feed store, just to have for laying hens. There were barred rock, rhode island reds, and golden sex linked. I bought the pullets. They are all now three weeks old and doing good but I am noticing that the golden sex linked chicks don't act like the rest. When I put my hand in the brooder they actually will run at my hand and peck at me. The other breeds just stand back and watch. Is this a sign that they will be aggressive chickens? If babies act like this what will they do when grown? I keep food and water in front of them so it isn't just excitement because am feeding them or something like that. If they are going to be mean, I won't want to spend a lot of time raising them, will sell them off before I have so much invested. Thanks for any advice!

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Probably a young roo. [​IMG]

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Maybe they are just trying to get your attention [​IMG] Do you pick them up?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If the sex links are reddish, they aren't roos. Roos are white.

The Red or Golden sex links are super friendly, on the whole. Confident too!! Frankly, they just seem to interact with people well. Nature of their breeding.
    Now, having said that, some caution needs to be exercised in over stating the case, because there are so many hybrids, made from so many strains, that generalizing is risky.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    I do pick them up and they are very brave. I was just afraid that Gold Sex Linked were maybe an aggressive breed but I am glad to hear that isn't the case. It is the only breed I got that I haven't any experience with.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It is just a chick thing, some are braver than others. I would handle them more so they're not afraid of you and you can handle them as hens, plus they can be fun, egg laying, pets with there different personalities. [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My Sex Link is an absolute lover go figure ? [​IMG] To the BYC

8. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I agree its just a chick being a brave chick..lol I had a couple more aggressive chicks, and now watching my broody she has one too.. From day one I have a chick that chases the others and me. And will go up and peck moms face, EYES, and head.. But mom has enough and will wham it on the head or back and it seems to get the message, for about 5 minutes.. Some are just braver, testy little boogers!

9. CheekyMare

CheekyMare Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are two weeks old today and are already rushing me at the stall door and trying to sneak out past me. Cheeky little gits. Are they sparring yet?

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It may or may not outgrow the behavior. My RIR was really mean to me and the other chicks for the first 3 months. Now she is the sweetest thing ever!

Since they are new, they are establishing their pecking order. It takes up to 3 weeks for them to sort it all out. I handled my chicks everyday and they are super friendly chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by