1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive bantam, towards humans

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Birchie, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Birchie

Birchie New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Hampshire
    Hi all,

I have a lovely little silver pencilled cochin bantam hen that has recently started laying. She has become really aggressive towards my wife and I. Every time we go in the run to change the water, feed them and collect eggs she attacks us. Normally any skin she can see, she will peck and most of the time draws blood. This started about a month before she started to lay.

We have 3 other hens in the run, 1 other bantam and 2 brown rescue hens, that she doesn't attack or show any dominance to. We have tried to block her and gently push her away with a broom, hold her down and spray her with water, but she keeps coming at us! We have observed her from outside the run, she is not bullied by the others and gets on with them really well.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks
    Birchie

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Salt and pepper, then throw her in with some dumplings.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes when they first start laying they can become a bit bossy. Yours seems extreme, especially for a bantam Cochin. When may calm down after a bit. It sounds like you don't have a rooster. I would keep pushing her down into a submissive posture, and see if she improves.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by