Aggressive behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lolobaba1212, Dec 4, 2016.

1. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    I just added a bantam and a black sex-link to my coop. Integration of sex-link worked but bantam is being pecked on (minimally, but still, she looks stressed out). Also, she is afraid to go in the coop at night. What am I supposed to do? My chickens are very busy during the day, eat a variety of seeds and scraps and keep busy scratching the soil. Is there anything else I could do for them to stop terrorizing my bantam who is so sweet?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like it's your only bantam? Anything different gets picked on. Bantams are best kept with other bantams and not mixed with standard breeds.

3. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Yes, the only one. Thanks for your reply!

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Maybe get a second Bantam then fix up a separate roost for them.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Birds of a feather, Flock together..............Create higher Roosting spots and hide outs for the Bantam.....I have one Bantam with all my Birds.....They are great together....Although bought as Chicks.......She gets bossed around, I do have safe places for her...She runs like a Roadrunner........lol

Cheers!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

How big is your coop in feet by feet?
    How many birds total, including the 2 new ones?

How long since you added the new birds?
    Are there places to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not dead end traps) and/or up and away from aggressors?
    Multiple feed/water stations so newbies are getting enough to eat and drink?

Do I ask too many questions?

As long as there is not copious blood letting and/or on one is getting pinned down and beaten unmercilessy, best to just let them work it out.

7. lolobaba1212

lolobaba1212 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    No blood, just a little harassment... She found two hiding places. I also added another water-hole and I throw seeds around for all of them to spread out and avoid congregation in one spot for feeding. Situation looks better on Day 2.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Good......Your doing things right.....It will take time.......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by