Aggressive bird... hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JBMpls, Aug 3, 2010.

1. JBMpls

JBMpls New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Greetings all. This is my very first post other than the introduction page. My name is Ben, I live in Minneapolis, MN and my wife and I just got some chicks about 5 weeks ago. They were supposed to be a week old at the time. We'd ordered a Rhode Island Red, but when we got there they said they were out and that they'd give us one of another breed. We've been raising them all together in a brooder and now in a old dog cage we had. They seem to be doing well.

My question though is this: Does this sound like a rooster? This 3rd "hen" we got seems much more aggressive than the others. Right now at about 6 weeks her legs are thicker and orange-er than the others, her comb is much redder (the others are still yellow), and general demeanor is much more confident - when I stick my hand in the coop, she'll peck at it lightly where the other two run away.

Think this is a rooster? We can't have roosters based on our permit so I'd have to get rid of him if that were the case. How can I tell? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some of the most stubborn, picky, finger biting chicks I've had have been by pullets. I have 1 now that has even tried to wing dance at me. (and yes, I'm 100% positive she's a girl)

ETA: Post a pic though and we can hazard a guess on sex.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  3. JBMpls

JBMpls New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Thanks for being willing to take a look!

Here are photos of my possible roo (I see they're called roos here on the site!) maybe hen. This is a Wynadotte. Recap: more aggressive, thicker legs, redder comb. What do you think? Do I have a rooster?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Looks like a roo to me.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A little early to tell, but I think it's a cockerel.[​IMG]

6. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    well, first off [​IMG]

second, i agree with the others..that chick appears to be a roo. it has a really big comb and wattles for its age [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, rooster. Sorry I couldn't say girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by