Aggressive Bourbon Red turkey hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EricH, Jan 5, 2011.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    I have some probably 5 month old turkeys - 2 bourbon red hens and 2 narraggansett jakes. They dont typically cause any problems so i have them in my large 50x50 run with the rest of my flock - 8 ducks, 2 roosters, and a herd of laying hens. Anyways, the turkey hens in particular (more than even the roosters/cockerels) seem very aggressive to newcomers. I have recently brooded out some young chickens - 3 FBCM roosters and an EE/australorp hen. I have gradually put them in the run, always with the hen turkeys causing all the ruckus/hazing. This last time (today) I put them in and left them after all seemed good (everyone eating and minding their own business) long story short - get home and the hen was apparently pecked to death. feeling VERY bad about this and am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with turkeys. I cant see my chicken flock doing this and if they did i would imagine it'd be the roosters going after the cockerels. Is there any hope for these turks coexisting with an ever expanding flock? or off to the butcher block early? i wanted to hold 2 and breed em.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm very sorry this happened in your flock. Chickens, including hens, can and do kill other chickens. They can peck them to death and also eat them, although they usually only eat part of the body by the time you find them. It's bad. You already know that, though. Occasionally it happens in an existing flock that has some problem, but adding new chickens to an existing flock is another time for it to happen. That's why there are a lot of threads on introducing new chickens. Try searching for threads on introducing flocks or cannibalism. Hopefully, someone with more experience housing turkeys and chickens together will come along soon.

3. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    I think i will just keep the species separated from now on. The turkey hens are so much larger than the young chickens and are so easy to overpower the chickens. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by