Aggressive buff Orpington hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sjbuff, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Sjbuff

Sjbuff In the Brooder

May 22, 2018
    Eastern Washington
    My 13 week buff Orpington hen has been showing aggressive traits in the past few weeks. Not towards the other chickens though. Mostly towards my dog who she has grown up with since we got here at about 1 week old. She also likes to attack the outside of her chicken coop... she’s a strange one, but I thought buffs were supposed to be on the nicer side of the chicken breeds. Is her behavior normal? Any tips for what I could do?
    Orrrrr... maybe she is a he?

2. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Are you sure she is a she? Can you post some pics?

Naser likes this.
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I have found buff orpingtons to be human aggressive.My hens were friendly but had their times where they tried to dominate me.Three out of five buff hens I have had are like this.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My opinion is that you can have an aggressive female from just about any breed. I had a female RIR many years ago that wasn't aggressive towards people but was against other female birds. She would try to beat up the pullets. She eventually went to an auction with some other birds.

5. CrazyPastyButt

CrazyPastyButt In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    I have 3 (yes, THREE) BOs that I'm certain were hatched in Satan's nest. They are 3 of the meanest girls to ever peep out of an egg, and have been this way for 5 months now. They work as a "team" to ambush the two lower ranking birds in the flock. I've tried everything to work with them, but some birds are just evil, lol. Jelly (short for Angelica, ironically ) is the ring leader, and I'm afraid will have to hit the bricks.

hannahnicole29 likes this.
  6. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    My first flock had 6 BOs in it and i ended up calling them the gang of 6 and started out curing the problem with culling and eating the meanest instigator, then the next and the next and the next and when there was only 2 left, the behavior stopped. The gang would corner one of the flock and just peck her and peck her and peck her. It was anyone that they could corner. i have two BOs now (not the originals) both nice birds, one not friendly, other one wants to sit in my lap like a puppy. You should probably break up the "team".

7. CrazyPastyButt

CrazyPastyButt In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    Oh, I agree with you 100%, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: