Aggressive Chick = Mean Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kharmel, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I have a Bantam Cochin who I am almost positive is a roo. He is approx. 3 weeks old and his comb is pink. Whenever I put my hand in the cage, he "puffs" up and jumps at my hand and pecks. Do aggressive chicks grow up to be agressive adults? I've never had a roo chick before and am worried I've got a future flogger on my hands.

[​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    hee hee! You've definitely got a little future darling there! I have mottled bantam cochin (a pair) and my Chucky boy was indeed one cocky little chick. He was an ugly teenager too. I almost gave up the pair. Today I am so glad that I didn't. Chucky is my favorite little boy. He dances, he prances, he comes to me when I call and he spins as I pet his back and fluff his little cochin butt feathers. He's cocky and high strung, as most bantam boys generally are, but he knows that he's my special boy and that I love him dearly. I can pet the roost and ask him to come up and there he is.

He did attempt a flog at my DH once when he took a friend out to the pen to let them out. Most of my chickens are partial and they're very shy around strangers. It was more comical than anything though cause he's such a tiny little poof of feathers.

3. brandyk81

brandyk81 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    I'm interested in the responses here also. I have an Easter Egger that I bought as a lady (feather sexed at hatch), but he/she is pretty aggressive with me. There is no comb yet (3 weeks old) and I'm an amateur chicken owner, so I don't know any other signs to look for. Does the chicks aggression necessarily make them a roosters? Or are there fiery ladies also?

4. WriterChick

WriterChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:I also am interested in an answer to this question. I have a week old Buff Orpington - she is taller than the others, pecks when she doesn't like something, and I've caught her twice doing something with her beak that simulates crowing (although she could have been panting). I'm a first time flock keeper and I don't have any idea. I did purchase sexed chicks - all pullets, so this will be a surprise if she is, in fact, a he. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by