1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stewzoo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Has anyone ever had a fresh hatched chick be aggressive? I had one hatch saturday/sunday (over the night hours). When I stick my hand in the broody house, he comes running and pecks. I had to open the incubator early because he was attacking the other chick that hatched with him.

Does this mean he will be an attack bird as he gets older? I have been trying to handle him extra to curb this behavior.

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    He's probably a rooster and depending on the breed is how aggressive they can be or are. I have some roosters and they are really aggressive. They try to peck at me whenever I come into the coop. I've had roosters before and I ended up getting rid of the because they were so mean. I'm getting rid of the ones I have now too. He also could hurt your hens if he's too aggressive. Handling him a lot could help too, but even the ones that I've handled all the time still got aggressive when they got bigger. Hope I could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by