1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raiSMASH, Mar 15, 2013.

1. raiSMASH

raiSMASH Out Of The Brooder

Hi! I'm brand new to chicken raising and I have an aggressive silkie chick that I thought I'd ask about. He's a week older than my other silkie chicks and 2-3 weeks older than the Favorelles. He's around 5 weeks I think. I'm pretty sure it's a rooster by how he acts. He runs around the area keeping the other silkie chicks and he pecks at anyone who puts a toe out of line, including the Favorelle chicks. They stand up to him but he'll like, run up to chicks and start hopping up and down (it's kinda funny) and if they don't move he'll start pecking them. The ones getting pecked keep letting out this awful squawks which of course get everyone worked up and flapping around... which in turn just makes the silkie more frustrated...

This is 'him':

[​IMG]

I just wanted to know if this behavior was normal and if I should be concerned or separate him?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    I would separate him. Favroelles are easily bullied and the age difference it to much at that age.

Silkies often have a skull defect so pecking can kill them or cause brain damage easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by