1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pjschubert, Aug 29, 2016.

1. pjschubert

pjschubert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    Georgia
    I have 6 chickens born on March 1, 2016. 5 of them are laying. The black sex link Lucy has always been sweet but since she started laying she has began pecking at the other chickens and if I pet another chicken she comes over and pecks my hand really hard. Is she trying to be a rooster? LOL She is laying double yoke eggs, yeah!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She has reached the age when the pecking order suddenly really matters. It's normal for them to to be a bit more pushy in the months around the start of lay. Most calm down a bit after a month or so. It's pretty common for sex links to lay double yolked eggs. Sometimes they are too high production hens.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Peck her back....pronto!
    Use finger tips to 'peck' her on the head or where ever.....be fast and firm, like they are.

4. pjschubert

pjschubert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    Georgia
    Just went out to collect eggs and leaned down to pet other chickens and she came running over and pecked my hand pretty hard. I thumped her beak and told her no! Don't know if that works like it does on dogs but I have to do something. She bullies the others and she is so much smaller than them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by