Aggressive chicks that peck feet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom3, Aug 19, 2007.

1. mom3

mom3 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2007
    Ok, I know alot of you said I had all roosters, but I am still holding out hope I've got one hen! [​IMG]

But the newest problem I am having is the chickens pecking my feet if I go into their pen, inside or out. And I mean pecking so hard they break the skin and there's blood.

It's only a couple doing this. Guess I should wear closed toe shoes, right.

Another thing they are doing when I let them free range is run up to each other and puff up their neck feathers and stare each other down. Then they both relax and each runs to another chicken and does the same thing.

I had chickens growing up and never remember them being as nasty as these ones are. They don't even sqwat when you try and pick them up. They run and act crazy. And they were raised from a couple days old in the house and held often.

I don't get it. So what do you think?

(No eggs so far either)

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sounds like normal chicken behavior. The posturing and the facing off - everything a young rooster does to establish his position. They will fight and scuffle to establish their pecking order. With no hens to service the testosterone levels in your flock will run very high. I think you are seeing the reasons why extra roosters are culled.

3. mom3

mom3 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2007
    x

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  4. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    When my chicks pecked me, I thumped 'em on the back of the head (like flicking something off my finger--not super hard). They need to learn that we're the top of the pecking order! [​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Mine only peck my feet if I have something on them.

And fluffing their feathers and jumping at each other is completely normal. They're not mean....they're chickens doing what chickens do.

They don't squat until they're old enough to lay.

If you think they don't like you to much then give them treats regularly and they'll warm up to you.

Edited to add: Chickens are very delicate, especially their lil heads. I wouldn't thump them, even it's its not hard.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by