aggressive chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elisha79, Jun 20, 2018.

1. elisha79

elisha79 In the Brooder

May 16, 2018
    Ontario Canada
    Hi there!
    I have a question for you professional chicken keepers! I have 5 six week old chicks at home which are my first chickens ever. I have 3 red sex link and 2 barred Plymouth rock. I've noticed their behavior has been changing over the last week or so. They have either become more comfortable with approaching me when I open their brooder or they are becoming aggressive. One of them attempted to bite me the other day and the rest of them just seem to have this look in their eyes that they are about to attack me. It's making me nervous and i'm just not 100 % on what to do if anything. They are about to be transferred to their new coup, so maybe they just need a change of scenery??? I also have no clue if they are roosters or not....from what I can tell they are not.
    Any advice or info would be much appreciated!

2. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    we will need some photo. how much room do they have.

3. ChickaMama49

ChickaMama49 Songster

May 14, 2018
    Central Florida
    I had red sex links and they were more aggressive. Barred rocks are sweeter.

4. ChickaMama49

ChickaMama49 Songster

May 14, 2018
    Central Florida
    Hold them daily and gently talk to them. Give mealworms , treats like listed on the page under treats on forum here and chick grit. You will become a source of good food for them they will love seeing you!

5. elisha79

elisha79 In the Brooder

May 16, 2018
    Ontario Canada
    They have a decent amount of room. We built the brooder bigger for that reason.

6. elisha79

elisha79 In the Brooder

May 16, 2018
    Ontario Canada
    I was holding them daily until they started acting like that, now I'm nervous :( I put gloves on the other day when cleaning the brooder.

7. elisha79

elisha79 In the Brooder

May 16, 2018
    Ontario Canada
    Yes the barred rock are always the first 2 to approach me. I think they are looking for food. It's the other 3 that seem like they want to destroy me hahah

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you're nervous around animals they can sense it and it makes them uneasy too. These are just tiny chicks, even if they peck hard they can't hurt you (well, don't hold them up to your eyes though... even a little peck would hurt!) If they're nibbling at you it's mostly out of curiosity... things like freckles, hair, a speck of dirt, it all looks like possible food to them so they'll try poking at it to see if they can eat it.

PachecoPeeps likes this.
  9. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    I am new to chickens, too. I have twelve 4 week old chickens that are in a pen that is roughly 4' x 4'. They peck at us, some pretty "energetically." I was assuming that is just what they do - peck at things to get information. My 3 daughters and I try to spend time with them everyday holding them and hand feeding them. They peck/grab at hair, shoe laces, shoes, clothes, freckles, etc. If we crouch down they fly onto our backs or heads. We think it's kind of fun.

Chick mom to 8 likes this.
  10. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    This behavior isn't good, and needs to be fixed ASAP. All of these chicks are acting like spoiled little darlings, and it won't be so cute when they weigh eight or ten pounds each and tear clothing or land on your head! Or cause wounds.
    It would be best to stop hand feeding; scatter treats on the floor and let them eat there. Biting fingers is bad!
    No bird nips me, my clothes, or jumps on me. Period. You could have a bird jump on your lap by invitation only, but probably not right now. Spoiled!
    If you spend any time watching them interact with each other, you will see this. Dominant birds walk where they want, peck who they want, and everyone gets out of their way. Birds lower in the pecking order get pecked and move very smartly away from the leaders. Always.
    Don't be lowest on the totem pole! You are the giants who bring food, and need to have that attitude.
    End of rant.
    Mary

ChickaMama49 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: