Aggressive chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UBkevy, May 14, 2009.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    my 5 and 2 week old chicks are getting agrressive. they nip at anything that gets near the brooder. I thought is was because they where hungry but they always have food. Could it be because we started to feed them bits of old bread and they have become competative and think when ever a person is near they will get a treat? if so how to i cure this?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Chicks will do that if they are to crowded and bored.
    Do you have both ages in brooder together ?

3. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    no the smaller ones are in a large bird cage next to the big ones i have 12 larger birds in a 2.5ft by 6ft brooder. what would be good entertainment

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    They probably need more room.
    You can hang bird toys, give them a perch to jump up on, or some treats like boiled egg,yogurt,etc.

If it's warm you could take the big one otside to peck in the dirt and grass. Mine love to go outside. I keep them in a dog playyard thing on the grass and they love it.

5. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

mine got a little rowdy today (they're teensy, just 2 days), so I sprinkled some chick crumbles on the paper towels---kept them distracted for hours. maybe sprinkle some feed in their bedding?

6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    I was worried about that happening, friends have had the same issue.. they are just bored.... anything to perch on or peck at will help! [​IMG]

7. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    My five weekers will usually nip at me when I'm reaching in the brooder because they are trying to be the first ones to get the treats (even when I haven't brought any treats, lol). Once they realize I don't have anything good they usually sulk off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by