Aggressive chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dangerzone, May 20, 2010.

1. dangerzone

dangerzone In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Philippines
    Got a problem since I started taking care of chicks. Going on to 4 weeks, the chicks seems to become aggressive. They started pecking each others comb or just running after another. And it's not just one chick, maybe 5 or 6 of them. I hate it when they do that. I'm scared they might die or get injured with their fighting.

Can anyone give a suggestion? Thanx guys.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They sound like they might be bored. Can you enlarge their brooder or put them outside for a bit. Give them some things to do - pick on a clump of dirt/grass, chase bugs, dust bathe.

3. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I used a red light and it calmed my chicks but they were only a day old and pecking each others feathered legs and toes till they bled.

4. dangerzone

Apr 28, 2010
    Philippines
    Actually they are already outside. I remove one of the more aggressive chicks but it keeps chirping, so I placed it back outside. They've got bread to peck, they've got feeds, water, grass and dirt they can scratch. But they seem to like to fight. I don't believe my chicks are a natural fighter. In fact, according to my research, they are very calm and tame.

I can't separate them one by one. I don't have enough space for each one. But when they are inside the brooder, they seem to get along. Oh wait a second, looks like it's gonna rain.

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

They are just working out their pecking order. As long as there are no injuries, they will be fine. All flocks do this.

6. I noticed yesterday that one clutch of eight has one little (I think) guy who is a nasty little fellow. They are starting to do the little play fights, and chase each other but this guy is way more aggressive then the others. He will grab another one and not let go. This hen too is 'weaning' her chicks much younger then I'd had hens do in the past, but that is what her sister did.

7. dangerzone

Apr 28, 2010
    Philippines
    I guess they are just trying the pecking order. But there is blood in their little combs already. Just redness and little blood. But I think they have subsided already. [​IMG]

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Chirping

Jan 19, 2009
    Washington
    Glad to hear your prob is subsiding! I'm having a problem with my chicks too. Got two marans chicks from the feed store at 3 weeks old. I had to separate them, and am rehoming one because she is MEAN. Seriously picking and non-stop chasing mean. I separated them, but they were both miserable till I put them back together. Now my gentle chick is BALD on the back end with all her feathers ripped out and starting to get bloody with no end to the harrassment. The mean one won't let her sleep or eat or drink. Yikes.

Yours sounds more like pecking order, and leave them be. I think with mine -one's going to end up killing the other, so they're separated. My chicks last year did a little kind of what yours are doing, but my marans are nuts.

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Songster

Sounds pretty normal. Kids picking ,pecking, and poking at each other. get them outside, so they have plenty of new things to occupy their huge craving for investigating and tasting things.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by