1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anperrin, Jan 24, 2013.

1. anperrin

anperrin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Barataria, Louisiana
    I posted this under Chicken Behavior but had a BYC member suggest I post here with pictures. So any thoughts? We bought 10 Araucana chicks two weeks ago that are now 6-7 weeks old, The two biggest ones seem to be very aggressive, They keep jumping on and biting the necks of the other chicks. Is this normal and if not what should I do to stop them? Also want to note that they are not mean with me just the other chicks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    those are ee (easter egger) roos which is why they are jumping on everyones back as they grab their necks but any chick will play fight to an extent

3. anperrin

anperrin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Barataria, Louisiana
    This maybe a dumb question but these are only my second chicks and I ended up with only hens last time, So is it OK for them to do that or should I separate them?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its a teenage boy thing just like young teen boys in humans, but you can separate them and when they ladies start to lay eggs you can put them back with the hens. This way they don't hurt or harass the ladies until the ladies are ready. If you cant do a different pen for them, try using a big wire dog kennel.

ETA the only dumb question is the one not asked [​IMG] so ask away

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. elisepage

elisepage New Egg

Hi, I have 6 chicks, ages 3 1/2 wks to 6 wks old. My issue is I have 1 bantam buff orp, 5 weeks old, who seems to be behind in the feathering dept, but is tall with a long neck and pronounced comb. This one, and only this one, keeps biting the neck of one of my other 5 wk old chicks, jumping on its back, and is just all around aggressive with all the other chicks, staring them down, flapping wings at them, chasing them, "bowing up" on them, etc. I know it's super early to tell but anyone think this might be a roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by